LESSON 3 of 7
"BEATING THE DEVIL AT HIS OWN GAME"
(1 Peter 5:8 - your adversary: the devil)
- INTRODUCTION: The soul-winner should be constantly aware of his adversary,
the devil. He is always on the job. When the seed (Word) is sewn, the birds (devil) are there
to steal it (from Jesus' parable: Matthew 13:1-23). You should seek the
admonition, "Be sober, be vigilant" because the devil is "as a roaring lion"
who is "seeking whom he may devour." (1 Peter 5:8) The devil was...
- Strong enough to blind, bind and overpower the strongest man who ever lived (Samson)
- Wise enough to outfox and out-maneuver the wisest man and place him on his death bed with
the knowledge that his life's work and kingdom was smashed (Solomon)
- Was subtle enough to catch "the man after God's own heart" off guard, lure him into sin
and wound him (king David)
- Was able to sift the chief apostle into denying his Lord, warm himself by the enemies' fire
and openly curse (Peter)
- Be sober and vigilant of your adversary--he is dangerous. Yet, "be of good cheer"
(Matthew 14:27) because "greater is he that is in you, then he that is in the world." (1 John 4:4)
Stay within the hedge (the will of God) as Job did and the harm the devil causes will be turned
into victories by the grace of God. God promises He will keep you from those whom He sends you to.
- THE WILES OF THE DEVIL: Ephesians 6:11: "Put on the whole armor
of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."
- WILES = METHODS: If the devil has methods then one can discover what they are
- The F.B.I. discovers the methods or habits/similarities of the crimes which leads
to the capture of the criminal
- WILES ARE DECEPTIVE:
- 1 Peter 5:8: He is the terrifying terror; "roaring lion"
- Ephesians 6:16: He shoots "tormenting torches" into one's mind--"the
fiery darts of the wicked"
- James 4:7: He is the town bully
- 2 Corinthians 10:4: The devil builds "towering towers"--strongholds
- WILES AT A CLOSER LOOK:
- The terrifying terror has lost his power and is now the toothless terror
- A strong, healthy lion does not roar as he stalks his victim
- Only the old, toothless lion roars
- He does this to frighten his victim out of his senses. The victim is paralyzed and
will injure himself or run right into the old lion.
- The tormenting torches can be quenched by the shield of faith (Ephesians 6:16)
or the water of the Word
- Resist the town bully and he will flee from you. Jesus resisted him in the Word
and the devil fled (Matthew 4:1-11)
- 2 Corinthians 10:5: The towering towers will become the tottering,
- WILES ARE BASICALLY A FORM OF NERVE (MENTAL) WARFARE
- Roar of the lion: the roar in itself cannot hurt anyone. It's designed to scare,
- The torches start small fires which bring distractions of panic, doubt, uncertainty,
self-doubt, lust and self-condemnation
- The town bully will run. This, perhaps, is the area where Satan whips most Christians.
He embarrasses them because they give up--become a coward. He insults their manhood--man loses face
- The towering towers are all in the imagination. The method of the devil is shooting
thoughts into the mind--building up the problems while tearing down the self-respect; destroying
the self-image, increasing the inferiority complexes
- WILES CAN BE OVERCOME
- Be sober and vigilant--the roar can't hurt you
- The Shield of Faith can quench all the fiery darts
- Resist the devil--he'll flee from you
- Pull down the strongholds--bring all your thoughts into captivity
- WAYS OF HIS ATTACKS AND WAYS TO OVERCOME THEM: There are seven places that
the soul-winner needs to be sober and vigilant because the adversary will attack him. They are:
- #1/7: THE DAVENPORT (SOFA)
- The devil attacks the soul-winner before he goes soul-winning. He shoots these
thoughts into his mind:
- I'm so tired
- I've got a headache
- The weather is terrible
- Wouldn't do any good anyway
- The deacon doesn't go--why should I?
- We beat him by taking the Shield of Faith (Ephesians 6:16)
- Romans 10:17: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by
the word of God."
- The Word says to go!
- Ecclesiastes 11:4: "He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and
he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap." (i.e., if you base your travel decisions based
on the weather, alone--like traveling only when the weather is good--you will not succeed.)
- Go in bad weather--the prospect will think you are crazy or concerned. Best time
to catch people is at home is during bad weather
- God will bless your faithful going--especially in bad weather
- #2/7: THE DOOR
- The soul-winner tenses up--has a big psychological problem at the door. The old lion
roars out at him--man stands before the door with fear and trembling
- Overcoming fear at the door:
- It is a psychological impossibility to experience two emotions at the same time
- Substitute happiness for fear by thinking of something funny. This will enable
you to replace that sickly, little imitation grin for a big happy smile
- God equips the soul-winner for the important tasks of witnessing by supplying
adrenaline into his system which will enable him to think clearer and perform at a higher level.
Do not mistake this heightening of one's abilities for fear or nervousness.
- #3/7: AT THE POINT OF DIALOGUE
- The devil always attacks after the social visit and before one enters the
soul-winning conversation or dialogue.
- One has a wonderful social visit. He talks about a nice home, beautiful little
girl, his vocation.
- Then the witness' throat goes dry, feels tense, and can't get into the soul-winning effort.
- One beats the devil at the point of dialogue by mastering the
"Five Approach Questions" (see Lesson 7)
- Master the approach questions so well that if one accidentally opens his mouth
the approach question will pop out.
- #4/7: AT THE POINT OF DECISION
- If the devil has only one shot at breaking up or hindering the soul-winning
visit it will be at the point of decision.
- A baby will cry
- The prospect will ask a difficult question
- The soul-winner will, for some reason, hesitate, feel insecure, or feel a sense of
- Beat the devil at the point of decision by going right into the close
- Tell the prospect you appreciate the privilege of showing him the four
spiritual principles (see Lesson 7). Tell him you must leave but before you go, you would like to have prayer.
- Ask him if you may pray--then pray!
- Pray for his salvation; stop the prayer and ask him to take you by the hand if
he is willing to accept Christ.
- #5/7: AT THE POINT OF DISTRACTION
- The devil will distract from the soul-winning visit by using anything or anyone
in the environment
- The silent partner: trainee is to create and control the environment so there is
a good, healthy atmosphere in which the soul-winner can witness
- The main source of distraction will come from the prospect:
- Matthew 13:1-4: The devil will attempt to steal away the seed (Word)
- Ephesians 6:16: The devil will shoot questions or negative thoughts
into the prospect's mind.
- Beat the devil at the point of distraction by "shooing away the birds." One shoos
away the birds by:
- Giving the soul talk in a conversational method instead of a lecture method
- Asking the prospect questions
- Calling the prospect by name
- Using gestures which keep the prospect's attention
- #6/7: AT THE POINT OF DUPLICATION
- A duplicator just mechanically duplicates the same message over and over again.
- If the devil can intimidate the soul-winner or keep him from perfecting himself
in witnessing then he encourages the soul-winner to witness frequently until the soul-talk
just becomes a boring, monotonous soul-talk given mechanically
- One overcomes the devil at the point of duplication by realizing...
- "It's not by might nor by power but by My Spirit", says God
- Psalm 126:5: A soul worth Jesus dying for is worth our crying for.
- We are a tray upon which the bread of life is served. Only the Holy Spirit can
give life. We must pray and prepare spiritually for soul-winning.
- #7/7: AT THE POINT OF DISTORTION:
- The point of distortion is where many great men have lost their power.
- King Saul: first humbled then...
- King Solomon: first humbled then...
- The devil begins to tell the soul-winner how great he is. The humble man of God
becomes puffed up--begins to have a "holier than thou" attitude" and is no longer used of the
Lord. He takes the Holy Spirit's credit.
- Beat the devil at the point of distortion by realizing:
- 2 Corinthians 12: The Holy Spirit gave the grace
- James 1:5: The Holy Spirit gave the wisdom
- Acts 1:8: The Holy Spirit gave the power
- The Holy Spirit is the One who has given all the victories. Do not take His credit.
Do not let the devil distort the truth. Even when we do our best, we are still unprofitable
servants (Titus 3:5).
- Luke 17:10: Give the HOLY SPIRIT the praise for His using you and beat
- THE WILLS OF VICTORY: the simple summary of meeting the devil
at the seven places he attacks the soul-winner...
- "I will go": when the devil attacks at the davenport, take the shield of faith.
Quench his darts by saying, "I will go" and go!
- "I will smile": when the devil attacks at the door, think of something funny and
say, "I will smile" and smile!
- "I will share": when the devil attacks at the point of dialogue, beat the devil
by saying, "I will share" and go into the soul-winning message by asking the
"five approach questions" (see Lesson 7)
- "I will pray": when the devil attacks at the point of decision, do not hesitate.
Go right into the close. Say within yourself, "I will pray" and ask the prospect if you may
pray, and pray!
- "I will control": when the devil attacks by using distractions, determine to beat
him by resolving, "I will control." Control the conversation and defeat the distraction.
- "I will depend upon": when the devil attempts to get you to become mechanical
and depend upon yourself, realize that only the Lord can give conversion and say,
"I will depend upon the Holy Spirit to give victory," and you will win.
- "I will acknowledge": acknowledge your own weakness, God's great power, wisdom,
grace and achievement and you will defeat the devil by bearing much fruit.
- THE WILES OF THE DEVIL become the WAYS OF HIS ATTACKS. The ways of his attacks are offset by
THE WILLS OF VICTORY. The WILLS OF VICTORY become the wins for Christ.
- Quench the fiery darts
- Resist the devil
- Be sober and vigilant
- Pull down the strongholds
...and you CAN beat the devil at his game