In the last days (which we're in, by the way), folks don't want to be soberly
challenged, anymore. They want to be amused and instantly gratified. They don't want
to think about the gravity of consequences before they perform their actions.
October 8th, 2000, Sunday Evening
"Message of God's Ministers"
What--specifically--we should be telling others
OPENING: 2 Timothy 4:1-5, KJV
2 Timothy 4:3: Perhaps one reason they're such a large
turn-around of pastors is there's something wrong with the flock (church members).
We should be preaching sound doctrine
- 2 Timothy 1:13
- Titus 2:1-2 (even the elderly are cited to be sober teachers)
- Titus 1:9
- 1 Timothy 4:16: We ought to be in favor of words that build, strengthen and
edify us and save the lost souls
- Today, "men of God" "retire" from the ministry. There is no such thing!
One may step down from "office of the pastor" but you don't retire from GOD's work. Your
tour of duty is not over until Jesus calls you home.
- Today, people don't want to hear sound doctrine. They want to hear whatever
pleases or comforts their lifestyle and business affairs. This problem begins at the
- Gossip is contrary to GOD. Every day, men and women, husbands and wives, talk
about their spouse behind their back at work. They refer to their significant other
as "my old lady" or "the old man."
- Titus 2:5: Today, women don't want to keep house. They want
to be leaders of the house ... not submitting to their husbands. It's a slap in the face
when a woman obeys other men more than her own husband (i.e. willingly getting the boss
coffee but resenting serving her husband).
- Titus 2:7: Young men, especially, need to be sober minded.
What, specifically, are we supposed to be preaching/doing? (sound doctrine)
- 2 Timothy 4:2: Preach the Word of GOD--the bible. It should be
all we speak when we're talking to an unsaved soul.
- Preach the judgment of GOD is coming
- 2 Timothy 4:1: "quick", in this context, means "the living."
- 2 Corinthians 5:10-11: The Judgment Seat of GOD is, alone, a terror
to think about--that White Throne. We need to be door-knocking to make sure the
saved come to church and we have a responsibility
to warn the wicked. Some people think we're judgmental when we say Judgment Day is coming.
We're frowned upon and hated. Just say, "I'm not the judge--just the messenger."
- Some people have called churches (our church on several occasions) to
ask for food or money because they're having trouble getting from day to day. However, when
we tell them they can have some food from the pantry if they come to church to get a message
from God, they suddenly lose interest or can't make the trip. If you and your
family are hungry, you will willingly walk for miles to get food!
- The church is not a welfare agency. It's a place to propagate the Word of GOD.
- These people who want food also want it delivered. If you want food, you have
to work to get it!
- Matthew 21:12-13: We don't like to think of our Savior as a wrathful Savior but Jesus Christ
wasn't a sissy. Today, people want to "meet halfway," be nice, not offend, and some people
are gay. Jesus Christ was a real man and as the prime example setter of man, he
did not of these--he was assertive, spoke like a man, and took action. He IS bold ... just
as we should be when preaching His Word.
- 2 Timothy 4:1: We're not lunatics when we preach this verse of
scripture to people. This is GOD's Word.
- We are to preach the Gospel
- 1 Corinthians 15:1: This charge of carrying the gospel is to who?
All brethren. This implies saved souls.
- Death of Jesus Christ was NO ACCIDENT--it was on purpose for our sins. History
reflects there did exist a Jesus who died on a cross. The bible says no one but Jesus
died for our sins--not Mohammed, not Joseph Smith of the Mormons (who, by the way, Mormons
believe will be next to Jesus Christ when judging earth--which is a lie because it's not
in the bible).
- Many denominations speak of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in various newspapers'
religious columns. However, they only speak of love and being nice to each other. It
doesn't say that Jesus died for our sins!
So why do this?
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17:
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ saves--it's
salvation to everyone who believeth.
- Because there's no reason anyone can't be equipped to go out and give the
message of Jesus Christ to others.
- Because the church (ideally), from the bible, gives sound doctrine, it challenges,
exhorts, and disciplines us.
- We should not walk out of church in pride or haughtiness, but prepared. We're
ministers of the Gospel of the grace of GOD--let's be good ones.