Jeremiah 10:23: Since Adam and Eve sinned, mankind had plunged into darkness
and was without a sense of direction. Thus, man is not capable of directing himself.
September 3rd, 2000, Sunday Morning
"Work of the Word of God"
Giving hope to the off-course believer
OPENING: Matthew 4:4, KJV
2 Tim 3:15-17: The word of God is the cure for ALL the world's
problems. It is the answer to all our needs.
The word of God informs us and instructs us.
- That you're on your way to hell if you're not
saved. Many people are in a state of confusion in
that they don't think they've been bad enough to go to hell. The truth of the matter is
that no matter how good or sinless a person thinks they are, they are 100% on their way
to a devil's hell if they're not saved for the
simple fact that sin is a inheritance from Adam to all man--we're born into it! We can't
- Yet, the value of the word of God gives instructions on how to be
saved. In addition, the New Testament epistles give instruction on how to live
- Bible tells you how to be a lady, a man, a husband, wife, father, mother,
a good child, a good worker, a good employer, neighbor, etc.
- Notice the bible says nothing on how to be gay
- Bottom line: All we need is the word of God
But before you apply it to your life, where did the word of God come from?
- 2 Pet 1:19: When man sinned and fell into darkness as a result,
God had to send a light to shine his path
- (Aside: Feminists, women who despise men, believe women should take over
leadership in the family and that God is a female. Some would say man wrote the bible
for the purpose of placing man higher than the woman and used God's name to justify this
charge. The truth is: God wrote the bible through men who were "moved by the Holy Spirit"
and God is a man. As the prayer goes, "Our Father, who art in heaven" not our
- Psalm 12:6-7: How do we know God's word is pure and true?
Because just as God's word alone keeps the planets in alignment, keeps the earth from being
too far and too close to the sun, and keeps meteors away from impacting us, we can conclude
God has the power to keep his word alive--even man cannot destroy it
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13: The word of God does not come from man
but from God himself. Thus, you should believe it at face value without searching for
further proof. This is faith. And it's common
sense that if you truly believe something, you'll adjust yourself--your life--accordingly.
God is THE King of the Universe, the Lord of Lords.
- What's the quickest way to shut down a liquor store? Not with mass anti-liquor
ads but rather to stop buying. If we simply shut sin out, it will go away. What would
become of liquor stores and pornography if no one bought it? It wouldn't be able to
- According to the bible, on Judgment Day, you will be judged according to the
rules of life in the bible ... whether you're a believer or not. How is it you can be
judged from a bible you never knew or believed? Because the bible has rules for
non-believers, as well.
- Revelation 20:11-15: A message to the unsaved: an idea of
what hell is like--on a watered down level: Imagine an electric stove with one of the
metal, circular coils red hot. Imagine you had to hold your hand flat on the coil for
one second. Now imagine having to do that for 5 seconds... 5 minutes... 5 hours...
5 days... years... eternity. All the pains you ever felt--hunger, pressure, internal,
emotional, heat, all rolled up into one--feeling it at its highest intensity for all
eternity. Think of how long it's been just living now and how some days just feel like
they drag on. Now imagine being in hell for the duration of your life times infinity...
- Source of the word of God: God himself
Romans 5:12: Man started his condemnation by sinning.
Romans 6:23: So God responded by offering free eternal
Acts 11:13-14: If only you'll believe the words that are
sent to you, you shall be saved.
- Acts 8:27-39: Story of Philip saving the Ethiopian eunuch
- Acts 16:17-34: Story of Paul (and Silas) saving the Philippian jailer
Hebrews 4:2: Some believe in Jesus Christ but don't trust him.
This makes the preaching they hear useless.
Romans 10:17: Therefore, just as the verse above noted, you
need faith to trust in Jesus Christ.
Romans 1:16: The word of God saves and sustains you. You
should blindly believe it.
1 Peter 2:2: If you stop getting the word of God, you'll stop
growing or grow backwards.
- Want to be a better son, daughter, husband, wife? Then get in the book.
- Someone who wants to come to church once and a great while is like the
spiritual hungry person who has a great feast set before them each week and once every
six months, they only want from it a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
- Athletes who train for an event have a certain texture to their skin that
sick, barely-able-to-walk people do. This could be an example of two people on opposite
ends of the spiritual spectrum in terms of bible reading and coming to church.
Psalm 119:9: If you're spiritually off track today, you can
get back on track.
- You want revival? GET INTO THE WORD.
- Do what our church does every year: from September 25th to December 24th,
challenge yourself to read the entire bible from cover to cover as a birthday present
to Jesus Christ on his birthday--December 25th.
- (From the King James Bible, which is approximately 776 pages, 776 pages / 90
days = only about 9 pages / day!)
Job 23:12: Why was God's word placed higher than essential
food? Because as Jesus said in Matthew 4:4, "Man shall not live by