There are many victories God wants us to have. We should expect great things from God
July 30th, 2000, Sunday Morning
"Victory through Faith"
Are you winning your battles? Learn the secret weapon!
OPENING: 1 John 5:4, KJV
We just shouldn't be so pessimistic. It's a failure not to attempt things.
Physical or mental suffering could also cause us to
waiver our faith to God.
We need to be victorious and sew in the faith. Just as a farmer sweats over
plants seed in a large field, he expects large fruits for his labor. God would have us
do the same with our faith.
ELEMENTS OF FAITH
- Hebrews 11:1: This is the bible's definition of faith. But
realize that without trust, faith is worth nothing.
- Faith involves belief--
taking something someone says at face value without looking to find a tangible visible source
for that person's claim.
- You feel wind but you do not see it ... you are held by gravity but you don't
- Genesis 1:3: The bible says "let there be light" and it
appeared! We don't need to spend countless dollars and hours trying to investigate that
fact! Just believe it.
- 1 John 5:4: Faith is our means of victory over all in this world.
- Romans 1:16: Faith is required for salvation--to win over death,
sin, and the eternal grave.
- Ephesians 2:8: We are
saved through faith--not by our good
works toward others.
- Hebrews 11:33: An example of the power of faith.
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-6: The content/essence of our faith is based
upon the events that took place in this passage of scripture.
- Romans 10:9: Jesus didn't just die. He died for our sins.
And just as Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, so shall we be raised (The Rapture)
and live forever, too. The proof of his resurrection was that he was seen
- 1 Corinthians 15:54: When Christ died, all our sins were
removed from us and laid upon Him so Jesus fulfilled the law that we may be
- Many theologians/pastors/preachers today say Jesus Christ didn't die but just
passed out because no one can be resurrected. But how can you not
die if the side of your body was punctured with a spear (as in Jesus' case) and ALL his
blood AND WATER came out of him? Not to mention punctured lungs.
- Matthew 19:26: Scientist say coming back to life is impossible;
However, this verse contradicts that
- Mark 11:22: Jesus commands us to have faith and
confidence in God.
An aside about your depth of faith
- Anyone can believe in God. But what is the content of your faith? Jesus
Christ didn't just die. He died for a reason--to pay the price of our sins.
- We all deserve to die and burn in hell forever and ever. Today, people want
retribution upon people for little things. What we should all look for is mercy.
Matthew 24:4-5: Christ warned us about many in today's world
who would come in his name; Don't believe those who do claim this. If Christ
really did come back, we wouldn't be on earth anymore.
- Compare Christ to Elvis:
- His home is in Graceland, Tennessee.
- People (still) call him "The King"
- People claim he's not dead
Romans 1:17: What we do in life--no matter what we do--we
must do in faith.
- Essential for victory over sin. For salvation.
- When we don't do what we know is right to do, it is sin.
- Why do we not witness for Christ? Are we afraid to suffer ridicule?
- Hebrews 11:7: Faith produces action. Noah took 120 years to
build his ark just the way the Lord instructed!
EXTENSION OF FAITH
- Romans 10:17: The more you hear of the Word of God, the greater
- Romans 4:18: Based on a true story...
- Abraham (of the Old Testament) was 100 years old--reproductively dead. His
wife Sarah was 90. Abraham never had a child and wanted one badly. God said it would
happen. Abraham was so excited he told Sarah and Sarah become excited too, and laughed
(which is where their son's name came from: Issac = laughter). And subsequently,
they had a child they called Issac.
Hebrews 3:12: We watchful for the enemies of faith:
- A corrupt conscience (sinful mind)
- Corrupt council (false teachers)
- Carl Sagan was a well known atheist. He's dead ... and a believer now.
- Haters of the truth of the bible