Per the opening verse of scripture, received the bible face-value as truth and utterly
believed the words written within. This is because the bible is written by God (through man) ...
September 27th, 2000, Wednesday Evening
"Working of the Word"
The intent of reading God's word
OPENING: 1 Thessalonians 2:13, KJV
Whenever the word of God is preached, it's intended to be
effectual in our life in that it will accomplish
- You need a hammer for hard things. If you have a hard heart, then God wants
you to have a broken heart because God wants to use tender hearts for His work.
- The word of God is a mirror which reflects the true image of yourself to you
and others. The word cuts and it works to produce an intended effect on your life.
The word of God is like water in that it cleanses when you immerse yourself
Four effects God wants His word to have on us:
- #1/4: FAITH
- Romans 10:17: Don't try to rationalize what you read--just fully
believe it. And the only way you can believe is by reading the bible.
- Without faith, we cannot please Him.
- Read/listen to the word being preached so you may take it in, integrate it into
your life, and act upon it.
- Genesis 24:42-45: When the world was just getting started in
being populated, we see here an example of a servant of Abraham who was directed to get
an Abraham a wife; This servant, instead of deciding himself which one looked best, asked
God to make the choice ... and he would believe she was the right one. And it did come
- God answers prayers right when we being to pray--even before we come close
to finishing our prayer. He wants our level of faith in Him to increase.
- Genesis 18:12-14: God can do anything. As soon as someone says
"God can do anything ... but..." STOP! Problem. God can do anything--period. As seen
here, Sarah, Abraham's wife, doubted she could bear a child in her old age ... but it
came to pass.
- Judges 7:3-8: There needs to come a time when we depend more
on God than ourselves; In this passage, Gideon was preparing to go to war with 32,000 troops.
But the Lord said he only needed 300 men to win. And as Judges 7:22-25 proves,
it came to pass the 300 had victories over the thousands.
- The effectual work of God is to increase your faith in Him. As you read the
word, the intended effect is to have increased faith.
- When parents have failure in raising their children through man's word (like
Dr. Spock), try having faith in God's word. The bible instructs you on how to raise your
- With faith, you will be steadfast. Without it, you will give up.
- When speaking the gospel, soulwinning, or witnessing, do so boldly! You are
speaking God's word--which God praises above His own name.
- Acts 4:12: No one else can save
you but Jesus Christ--not Mohammed, Elvis, Virgin Mary, etc.
- #2/4: CONVICTION -- A CLEANSING AGENT
- The cleansing agent is the bible.
- Psalm 119:9
- John 15:3
- Ephesians 5:26
- Why do we need to be a clean church? Because God only uses clean "vessels"
(our bodies) for His work.
- HOW does it clean?
- EXPOSURE: As we're exposed to the word, we're "getting in the water" It's like when
you take a bath and all the grunge and dirt floats to the surface in a layer. God's word
will strain the dirt from your body.
- For what purpose? To get cleaned with "the water."
be a result of reading God's word. God's word is correct--every verse.
- Romans 7:12-13: You must be convinced God is right, you are wrong,
and sin brings consequences. People not exposed to God's word have very little conviction
in their life. They easily say one thing and do another. That's being a hypocrite.
- COMMITMENT: It's good to commit yourself to a worthy cause ... and what's more
important than God's word? He magnifies His word above His own name!
- Job 23:12: Job valued God's word above the essential food to
maintain our body! There are many things people believe to be more important than
bible reading ... but nothing is.
- Some would say to that, "well the preacher is paid to read the bible!" That
may be, but the preacher is his own boss. He could just "not go to work" and make up
something to preach about on Sunday. But the preacher has a deeper conviction than the
church body because he is directly accountable to God for the actions of the church body.
- 1 Timothy 4:13: It's directed by Jesus to read the word of God
until His return.
- #3/4: CORRECTION FROM THE WORD
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17: God's word is used to perfect the Christian.
Why? So we may ultimately conform to the image of Jesus Christ.
- Romans 12:1-2: The intent of the New Testament is to become
saved and emulate Jesus Christ in all ways.
- How is it possible that the water you immerse yourself in does not clean you?
Either you're not reading your bible or you have a sour spirit (utter disbelief).
- Proverbs 16:2: We do what we think is right in our eyes--but we
don't see the same as God.
- Don't fight God's word. Admit you're wrong and you want to do what's right.
- #4/4: APPLICATION OF THE WORD
- It hear the preaching of the word or to read it means nothing if it's not applied.
- Read the bible not just for someone else or to debate with but to build your
faith and subsequently help you become clean.
So we can see that God an intent behind His word in that it should work effectually in you.
The bible is a seed to be sewn so it may reap good in a different season in that what is
produced are souls imaging Jesus Christ.