It is the church's responsibility to equip its members to be
ready to witness and do good works.
July 23rd, 2000, Sunday Evening
Are you on standby for the Lord?
OPENING: 1 Peter 3:15, KJV
Are you ready or available this week? We should be in the ready
- Pray (at the drop of a hat--right then and there)
- Die (not pleasant but practical; are you so sure you won't die today? What's
the purpose of insurance, then?)
IN ORDER TO BE READY, WE HAVE TO:
- #1: BE INFORMED--HAVE THE INFORMATION
- We need to be able to witness effectively. This is something lacking in
- At the rapture, God will hold us accountable for all the opportunities we had
to witness to lost souls.
- Romans 1:15: Why should we be ready? Paul said he was ready.
- 2 Timothy 2:21: A great place to spiritually clean to prepare
yourself to be ready is church.
- The church's mission is not just to equip those who are spiritually right with
God but to welcome sinners so they may be cleaned by prayer at an old fashioned
- The time period doesn't matter. The number of years you believe you wasted
doesn't matter. Don't think of how much the glass is empty, rather, how much is left.
Come to God for forgiveness of sins NOW.
- 1 Timothy 6:17-19: God charges us to be ready to give
(and woes those who are storing up earthly riches).
- This week, somewhere, somehow, the Lord is going to show someone His love
through a ready Christian.
- #2: BE READY TO DIE FOR THE CAUSE
- Acts 21:13: Underline the word "ready" in red in your Bible.
We need to be ready to die. Don't you want to be caught doing the Lord's work as opposed
to sinning? Don't you want to go to heaven knowing you're not at odds with anyone on earth?
- As a family member, you may resent being told you should be ready to die for
the Lord's sake. But remember that you must love the Lord above all else--including your
spouse or family member.
- If we're ready to die for our Savior, then we're ready to "live" for Him.
If we're prepared to die and leave everything behind, then what could possibly harm us?
- Romans 12:12: We need to be ready to pray everywhere and for
everything: in the faith, in the Spirit, in Jesus Christ...
- 1 John 5:14: ...and He will answer.
- HOWEVER, we need to be sin-free (just ask God for forgiveness of your sins)
before He will hear your prayer.
Luke 12:40: Be ready. Jesus will be back when you least expect it.