Look at the growing importance and access to money today...
January 21st, 2001, Sunday Morning
"Do You have a Good Name?"
Your name has more value than all the money in the world
(Special Guest Speaker: Brother Daryl Stevenson)
OPENING: Proverbs 22:1, KJV
- Trading in the stock market is now accessible online ... thus, anywhere in the
- Late night infomercials talk about how you can turn $12,000 into $600,000 easily!
- TV evangelists say the more money you give them the more of a blessing you'll receive
But we have yet to see a TV informercial telling you how to acquire a
good name ... before GOD and before mankind.
#1/2: Importance of having a good name when dealing with salvation.
- Revelation 21:27: What is a "good name"? A name written in
the "Lamb's Book of Life."
- Today, people (i.e., Catholics) believe the only way to be
saved (name put in Book of Life) is through doing
good works for others and for your community ... for humanity. Other good works claimed
- Going to church everyday of your life
- Giving 20% or higher of your gross income to charity or church (as opposed to the
required 10% tithe)
- Being good to your neighbors
- Following the 10 Commandments (the law)
- But the truth, as it is written, is that good works will not
save you or put your name in the Book of Life
- Ephesians 2:8-9
- Titus 3:5
- Therefore, having a "good name" is a requirement ... else, you'll go to hell.
- So how do you get your name in the Book of Life?
- #1. See that GOD's standard is perfect righteousness
- Isaiah 64:6: The very best good work we, as man, can ever do
for GOD is as "filthy rags" before GOD.
- Therefore, we can conclude our best is not good enough. We need help from
The Man Jesus Christ -- that He exchanged His perfect righteousness for our imperfection
- Our sin qualifies us for Salvation.
- Romans 10:9-10: Now we are qualified to have our name put in
the Book of Life. Upon true confession, GOD
no longer sees you as a dirty, filthy unknown but a believer worthy of Heaven.
- As Christians, we cannot lose our eternal Salvation once we get it--just
fellowship with GOD and man.
- #2. What we need to avoid--as Christians:
- Psalm 66:18: Being an unconfessed sinner.
- Psalm 142:4: Being an apathetic Christian.
- Proverbs 21:13: Neglecting mercy
- Proverbs 28:9: A lawbreaker
- Live the law for fellowship--not for salvation
- Zacariah 7:11-12: Stubborness
- James 1:6: Being Unstable Christians
- James 4:3: Being self-centered
- Good names to have:
- Fishers of Men
- Take bait on your hook to people--apple pie, Word of GOD, etc.
- Teachers (of righteousness)
- Stewards (a.k.a. guardian)
- We're in the midst of the spiritual battle now
- Satan words subtly--little by little
- Notice how "contemporary Christian" music today is no longer traditional (like hymnals)
- Notice how each Israeli generation slowly moved further away from GOD
- We may have messed up royally in the past or yesterday but today
#2/2: Have a good name before mankind
- James 2:14: We can claim to be Christians but if we do nothing
as Christians, what good is our faith or our claims of who we are?
- #1/2: Have a good name before the world
- EXAMPLE: What do you think of when the name "Benedict Arnold" comes to
mind? Benedict Arnold agreed to give up West Point for 10,000 pounds (money) to the British.
Now what comes to mind when you hear the name "Thomas Jefferson"?
- Your children and your children's children and all succeeding generations will
suffer for the adverse actions of your name.
- A simple hand-shake is the non-verbal giving of your word (integrity).
- Pay your dues (bills) on time ... or earlier.
- Don't be a clock-watcher -- "work an 8-hour day for an 8-hour pay."
- 2 Corinthians 3:2-3: The world will put you under the
microscope to see if you "walk the talk."
- We are living books that have pages added of our account each day of our life.
What are people reading about you?
- It taks years to establish a good name but only a moment to
- #2/2: Have a good name within the church
- 2 Timothy 4:10: People will remember your mistakes--as in this
- What do you think others call you in the church? Do you not care? ... if not,
you should. Are you apathetic or unfaithful?
- Apathy breeds disunity--which is what Satan wants.
If you name is not good, start fresh today--right now.
GOD forgives and forgets; man may not do either.
Having riches will never be enough. You'll want more, more, more until you
finally forget your name!