People ask out loud, "what's wrong with Christianity today?" Today's Christians are
getting out of the authority of honoring GOD and into the temporal entertainment of this
December 1st, 2000, Friday Evening
>> REVIVAL WEEK <<
"Proper Place of Worship"
At Jesus' Feet
(Special REVIVAL Speaker: Pastor Jim Payne)
OPENING: Luke 10:38-42, KJV
The problem is we've lost the reverence, respect, fear, and need for GOD.
We make him a co-equal partner instead of the "president & CEO."
- Today, Christians are simply "adding" Jesus Christ to their life and nothing
more. He is simply a pal, buddy, and co-pilot.
- This is the same GOD who breathed breath into your soul and will give you
eternal life with his Word.
- John 15:5: When you're saved,
you're joint heirs with Jesus Christ. You learn from and fellowship with Him.
Today, worship services are perverted. The theme is fanciful, fleshly, and
made of fables.
- Congregation performs a sensual dance to entertain the ears and eyes as opposed
to soul stimulation
- Congregation says "AMEN" to anything the preacher says. They don't know of
or care about the true doctrine.
- The Bible is GOD's heavenly, holy, and lifted-up Word.
Luke 10:39: WHY TO BE "SITTING AT JESUS' FEET" LIKE MARY
- #1: BE AT JESUS' FEET TO LISTEN
- Luke 10:39: Our proper place of worship is at the feet of
Jesus--not toe-to-toe or nose-to-nose with Him.
- It's good to listen to Christian music/preaching while out of church but be
careful not to inter-mingle it with thought-intensive duties or hobby work, in effect,
putting GOD's word "in the background."
- It's necessary to pause from all duties and hear the word of GOD without
distraction. Today, people just "fit" GOD's Word into their busy schedule.
- Luke 10:42: Jesus Christ gives His approval to drop the world's
work to listen to His Word.
- This is not a face-to-face discussion or debate. This is not one equal to
another. You need to shut your mouth and be totally dependent on GOD's Word.
- Today, people want to discuss and debate. But GOD doesn't want your opinion
or to debate you when it comes to His Word.
- 1 Corinthians 8:1: The Bible says "Knowledge puffeth up"
meaning that debating and thinking you're educated on the Bible means you'll become full of
yourself and think you have the power and authority to challenge the Bible.
- The Bible should criticize you, not you it. The Bible should judge you.
It doesn't say to judge it.
- Therefore, the only way to please GOD is to humble yourself at the feet of
Jesus, in worship, listening to His Word.
- #2: BE AT JESUS' FEET TO FERVENTLY PRAY
- John 11:30-32: Look at Mary's attitude here--she fell at Jesus'
feet and prayed.
- Jesus Christ's body was "torn" at the cross so we may directly
access GOD's Throne in prayer.
- Today's attitude is "we're praying to GOD who's on the other side of the
universe. That attitude hurts the power/authority of your prayer--the
"I'm down here while He's way up there" attitude.
- A faithful and effectual prayer life is one of the toughest things a Christian
can ever do.
- Remember you're not sending a telegraph or an e-mail but when you get on your
knees and pray, you're in the actual presence of GOD. Then you become satisfied and can
- We need this revival to help recognize who we're praying to--someone not as
equal-to-equal but as a servant-slave, father-son relationship.
- #3: BE AT JESUS' FEET TO REMEMBER HIS DEATH
- John 12:1-6,8: Mary anointed Jesus' feet with her hair (which
the Bible says is a woman's honor and glory (1 Corinthians 11:15).
- Mary knew what Jesus' 12 disciples and the Pharisees didn't know--that Jesus
would die for her on the cross. Mary threw away all her honor, pride, dignity, and glory
because of what Jesus would do for her.
- How did Mary know while the others did not? Because she sat at His feet
and gave her undivided attention to Jesus' words. The others never truly did that.
- Note the spikenard ointment Mary used is considered a year's salary, in that
- The death of Jesus Christ was not just religious necessity, historical truth,
or theological doctrine, but Jesus died for the common, simple man.
- You'll feel nothing for yourself if you truly get to the feet of Jesus.
- Those who complain of giving at church are standing at the cross, not kneeling
at it. Man's flesh, his church, and his preaching are what's important to man, today.
- #4: BE AT JESUS' FEET TO REMEMBER HIS RESURRECTION
- The Bible is a collection of facts and doctrine but shouldn't cross over into
the intellectual. Reading the Words within should stir our soul with cheer, joy, and singing.
- Matthew 28:1-9: Remember to worship Jesus in His resurrection.
- WORSHIP is acknowledgement and sacrifice
- OBEDIENCE is giving and offering
- Going out to tell the entire world how good GOD is and being cheerful about it
will weaken you. Statistics say the average effectiveness of a Christian's life is
3-4 years! So how do you carry on? Tell GOD in prayer how good He is and what He's
done for you. Get to His feet and worship/pray to Him in the resurrection.
- Luke 8:27-35: Consider the story of the demon-possessed man.
When Jesus found him, he commanded the demons to leave the man. The man's madness was
gone, the insanity passed, he was clothed, and "sitting at the feet of Jesus".
- Consider the peace you found the night you were
- We need to:
- Cast all honor and glory at His feet
- Thank Him for His death
- Worship Him in His resurrection
How can you fix your family, children's rebellion, or
circumstances out of your control? You can't but Jesus can.
GOD wants us to live like we're dead--crucified with Jesus Christ ... not caring
about the temporal things of this world.
In Revelation 1, John hears the splendor and authority of the
voice speaking to him. John fell to his feet as if he were dead--his self-will and freedom
of choice gone.
- Revelation 1:12: The word "turned" means that we turn from
our evil ways so that we may be holy before GOD and then see things we could not see before.
- It wasn't until John heard Christ speak that John became broken, in a humble,
yielded position. John became "dead on his feet."
We can't see beyond our next bill, the next scheduled school day, activity, or crisis.
But we can feel the touch of the master's hand and hear His voice. He transforms our vision
so we may see the unseen a far off that the victory is already won.
Therefore, we challenge you to "get to the feet of Jesus Christ. You'll
honor Him and in turn, He'll show you great things.
CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE TO DAY 4 OF 5