Matthew 2:11: Notice here that gifts are presented to Jesus ... a
practice that can be done today!
December 17th, 2000, Sunday Evening
A Christmas Present for Jesus
On Christmas, who's birthday is it?
OPENING: Matthew 2:11, KJV
Everything on this earth belongs to GOD. We're just borrowing or giving back
to GOD what is already His. But that is irrelevant. What matters is if and in the manner
you give (back) to GOD.
About the wise men who gave baby Jesus gifts:
- #1/3: The wise men came in person
- They didn't send others in their place to present gifts.
- These men travailed adverse weather and storms, journeying far from their
country, and they had on their person riches and treasures. They suffered many risks:
- They had robbers back then just like today
- There were wild beasts
- They risked death
- They had to finance the trip themselves
- They needed faith and diligence to
search out the stars
- #2/3: The wise men's mission
- It was a mission of worship
- It's easy to give others' treasures away to the LORD but more difficult for
us to give our own belongings to the LORD.
- It's good to teach your children to be givers. There is no better giver than
Jesus Christ. If your children don't have an entry-level job, teach them the skill of
- #3/3: The gifts presented by the wise men
- The gifts had to have been of some value
- Stop and consider if you're giving to GOD your leftovers
(donation of a used piano or old lawnmower to a church) or your very best, prized
possessions (like your 10% tithe and then some).
- People say "give until it hurts." The Bible says "give until it feels good."
- Romans 12:1-2: The gifts presented to the LORD, the King of Kings
and LORD of Lords, should be reasonable--like our body.
- #1/2: The gift (your body) should be something desired
- Satan most certainly desires your body ... for his abuse and purpose.
- #2/2: The gift (your body) should be presented
- Our soul was bought for a price. It already belongs to Him. But you must
present (give) it to Him.
- Dress and clean yourself (your gift) up to present to GOD.
- Be holy--set apart your body from its
wants of the world and give it to GOD.
- Hebrews 11:4: Like Cain and Abel, our sacrifice (gift of our body to GOD) is a sacrifice of faith.
After considering this entire message, stop and realize what gifts the wise men
brought Jesus: The wise men brought their VERY BEST, brand new, expensive, unused
Just as Christ gave us the "unspeakable gift" (2 Corinthians 9:15),
we owe Him the next very best, treasured gift--our body/soul.
If Y2K was supposed to be the end of the world for many, then why not be in
You can't change the past. Therefore, don't look back on what you didn't give
but look forward to what gifts you will give next year ... and the quality of them.