Today, the greatest need in the church (and in the world) is, very simply, that we
October 15th, 2000, Sunday Evening
"Obedience is Better"
What does GOD want from us?
OPENING: Deuteronomy 5:29, KJV
- 1 Samuel 15:22: Here's the proof GOD wants our obedience to
His Word more than the best offering GOD could ever receive from us.
- Jeremiah 7:23: More proof GOD wants our obedience more than
our sacrifices. If we love GOD, we will keep His commandments. If we love each other,
we will not violate each other or His commandments.
- Genesis 4:3-5: This is why Cain's offering was not accepted
and Abel's was ... because Abel had that faith in GOD's existence that Abraham did and
Cain did not. Cain believed an offering, alone, was sufficient. But as the above
Samuel 15:22 says, it is not.
Leviticus 19:27-28: Today, especially around Easter time
(symbolic to the resurrection of Jesus Christ and not the Easter bunny), people believe
they're serving GOD and doing His will when they try and identify with Jesus Christ by
self-crucifixion (hanging themselves on the cross until almost death), flogging themselves,
and piercing their body with rods. GOD does not want us to mutilate or hurt ourselves.
To publicly identify with Jesus Christ, all you have to do is be
saved and perform a public (in church) water baptism--once.
GOD will not forget that--ever.
Parents want their children to be blest where they journey but in order for
that, the children must obey GOD.
When you REALLY, REALLY want to do something, you will find a way to do it.
So if we are motivated to do GOD's will, we will not give excuses or be hindered by
roadblocks such as geographical boundaries or lack of transportation. If we really, truly
love GOD, we'll keep His commandments (John 14:23).
- Just like in Russia, if you need food to feed your family, you will walk miles
one way to get that food. You'll do whatever it takes to preserve your family. There's
a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Germany that U.S. soldiers drive 176 miles one way for!
TWO IMPORTANT ASPECTS OF OBEDIENCE:
- Deuteronomy 30:19-20--GOD has placed before you a simple choice:
obey or disobey.
- Obedience brings blessings
- Matthew 7:21 and James 1:22: Don't be a hypocrite. Practice what you preach.
Just claiming to know GOD is not enough to enter heaven.
- Genesis 18:17-19: GOD had to decide whether or not make a revealing
to Abraham. He decided He would because He knew Abraham would raise his house and children
to know and OBEY GOD.
- Obedience brings favor and fellowship with GOD--so sayeth Jesus Christ.
- Deuteronomy 28:1-15: Obedience brings incredible, multiple blessing upon you.
Read them all!
- What does GOD require from us?
- To obey Him. And if we love Him, we'll obey Him. And if we obey him, we'll
go to church like we're directed.
- What is so difficult about going to church? People stand in front of stores
asking for hand-outs and are not the least bit ashamed. Yet if we're to give to GOD,
people have a problem with that and/or are ashamed.
- Some claim they can't go to church because they can't sit for two hours. Yet,
on any given Sunday, they can go to a football and sit for four hours watching football.
- Disobedience brings curses
- James 1:22: Be doers and not only hearers of the Word. If you
only hear, it will go in one ear and out the other and nothing will come of it. You
might as well have not gone to church!
- Deuteronomy 8:19-20: "walk after other gods" means you put
more important objects before GOD such as money, sports, games, hobbies, etc.
- Deuteronomy 28:15-68: Possible outcomes resulting from not
obeying GOD's Word.
- James 1:22-24: Again--don't be a hypocrite and hear only.
This is self-deception ... to the point where it's possible to believe in even your own lie.
You look in a mirror (bible) and see what needs correction but as soon as you turn from
the mirror (forget the bible), you forget what you need to correct and continue as if you
never knew what you needed to correct.
Obedience to GOD will prevent us from...
- Self-deception (hypocrisy)--when we begin to believe in own lie.
- Hebrews 3:12-13: "depart from the living GOD". As we
become more deceived (and less in the Bible), our heart becomes harder. GOD has a special
hammer for every hardness of the heart; some need to lose their vision, job, health,
children, marriage, spouse, in order to be brought to unconditional terms with GOD. It
may be harsh, but your relationship and love for GOD should be stronger than with anyone
on earth--including your spouse and family (and this has been proven many a time).
- Matthew 7:24-27: Disaster. We just need to obey GOD's Word--that's
all! It's that simple! For those who claim, "Hey, I have what I want and I'm blessed and
I don't go to church or need GOD. Woe to them--they are already cursed. It's just a matter
of time when the curse will catch up to them. Why? Because you can't make GOD into a liar.
Obey GOD, and blessing will overtake you--like a flood.